Failures in snacking - success in dinner!

I have always been a snacker, from when I was a child, I've always snacked. Sliced fruit, crackers, cheese, candy. Now that I'm an adult, and have dealt with hypoglycemia, snacking became a coping method, not just a habit.

I know that with Keto, I can still snack, but I just have to be mindful of HOW I'm snacking. And I'm not doing so well. I'm struggling because I keep crackers and fruit snacks around the house for my kids, but won't give into temptation on them myself. I tried to make myself a batch of baked zucchini chips the other day, checked the oven and they weren't ready, 1 minute later, I checked again, and they were burnt... to a crisp. No matter how much salt I add to that, it's never going to get better!

That night, I made a great dinner, perhaps a little too protein-y and not enough fat, but I tried. I did a chicken parm using salt and pepper pork rinds as my "breading" with steamed and seasoned cauliflower with butter. Normally, and for my entire life, I'd have added bread, potatoes or pasta to this dish, so I'm at a loss for what to add. When I was in culinary school, we were taught that main meals should be served in sets of 3. Meat, veggies and breads/pastas. It's hard to retrain my brain.



The last several days, I've been doing pepperoni, smoked sausage, high fat ground beef, celery and peanut butter, and propel waters. I'm still struggling to find a coffee recipe that satisfies my need for caffeine and for sweet richness. But Oregon SF Chai concentrate with Unsweetened vanilla almond milk is doing well to supplement my coffee addiction.

I have been struggling with mood swings. I feel great one moment, and I feel dreadfully sad the next, usually triggered by a carby craving that I can't acquiesce to. I can't seem to find snacks that are satisfying. I'm no longer hungry, but I'm a creature of habit. When I work or I study I've always had a bowl of salty crunchy snacks. And I haven't found a crunchy salty keto safe snack to replace that. I feel unfocus, and ungrounded without my crunchy salty goodness.

But I'll plug along and figure it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should be ASHAMED!

Dirt Therapy

Writing Exercise - Eutopia