Thankful

There has been a lot going on that I haven't had the time to digest and think through for writing. I made my initial "thankful" post, and then life kinda took off.

Nov 2: I am thankful for Connor. My first born, The one who gave me my most beloved title, Mom. He is a little ball of spunk, attitude, and precociousness. He is in-tune with me in a way most aren't. He can see when I am sad or upset, and even when I can't articulate in a way that makes sense for his 4-year-old brain, he just leans in and hugs. No questions, just comfort.

Nov 3: I am thankful for Cohen. My last born. The one who reminds me that even if I think I'm sucking at everything, I'm still a good mom. When I get home from work or walk into the classroom to pick him up from school, his face lights up and he comes running. His little hugs and kisses are light for me, and he is learning so much each and every day. He isn't one for snuggles, but when he does get snuggly, it's the most intense and warm moments.

Nov 4: I am thankful for a career in which I can spend time with my kids, and work at the pace that my creative brain works. When I'm not actively engaging clients in their real estate search, I'm helping other agents with their marketing, and helping my office with their recruiting. I've found a tribe of co-workers who appreciate my need for creative elaboration and use my skills in a way that we all benefit from.

Nov 5: I am thankful for English Breakfast Tea. It doesn't seem like much, but I wake up each morning in need of a little warmth and comfort, and a touch of caffeine. It helps me jump start my mornings, and I can drink it while I work or on my drive to the boys' school.

Nov 6: I am thankful for my mom. Today is her birthday. She has always been a source of strength for me. Even when I was in my teen years, and we couldn't live together because of our various mental issues, we still talked every day. Phone calls can last from 2 minutes to hours. I live over 100 miles away from her now, and when we don't check in, we get worried. Last year, she battled breast cancer, and kicked its ass! She still suffers from some of the side effects of the treatments, such as debilitating dizziness, but she is still the strongest woman I know!

Nov 7: I am thankful for Audible. the audiobook platform through Amazon. I have difficulties sleeping, its a side effect of my anxiety. I can put on a book read by a gentle voice, and I'm usually out within 10 min. I miss a lot of my book, but I can always rewind or relisten later. I can also listen to my books when I crochet, while I'm driving, or when I'm just relaxing.

Nov 8: I am thankful for love. Regardless of the outcome of the anxiety inducing election, regardless of the terror occurring around the world. I have love. I send love. I am loved.

Nov 9: I am thankful for my dog. Lola was a rescue, when she was about 1.5 years, we adopted her. Her previous family was neglectfully abusive. They never hit her or performed intentional violence against her, but they didn't take care of her either. She got food when their toddlers dropped crumbs, she got water when they left the toilet lid up or shoved her outside tied off on a 20 ft rope. She had not been housebroken, had never ridden in a car, and couldn't swim. She had not been fixed or vaccinated. 2 weeks after we brought her home, she contracted Parvo. We almost lost her, but she is a fighter, and I wasn't going to let her down. Even if it meant pinning her under my desk, and opening the pill capsule and pouring the powder into her mouth. She would spit out the medications no matter what we wrapped them in. After a few years, we adopted a second dog.  Thinking that Lola had been fixed, we kenneled them together while we were in school. A few months later, we were blessed with 8 spunky pups! After rehoming them, we were able to get her properly set, despite the lies and deception of her previous owners. Now she is a registered emotional support animal and sleeps in our bed every night.

Nov 10: I am thankful for my English teachers. As a side hustle, I write copy. Online businesses hire me to write content and descriptions for their websites. I wouldn't be able to do that had it not been for the teachers that put up with my attitude in school.

Nov 11: I am thankful for the servicemembers throughout time. From day 1 of our country, we've had defenders. My husband served, most of his extended family served. I recently discovered that my Great Grandpa Massingham served as well. I had been unable to find any information about my biological mother's side of the family because I had been adopted. I did some research into her grandma and discovered Grandpa's obituary, which touts a military career including 82nd Airborne, Paratrooper in the Korean War.

Nov 12: I am thankful for the family membership to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry my in-laws bought as a birthday gift for my oldest. Today, we went to OMSI and spent the day playing with legos, and the sandbox, and the water tables, and sculpting with flubber, and having fun. So much fun that both boys fell asleep on the train.

Nov 13: I am thankful for the Portland Police. Regardless of what the media says, they were out in the riots yesterday, they were the recipients of thrown rocks, fireworks, and trash. They stood their ground and made headway without shooting anyone, using only non-lethal means. I appreciate and agree with the right to protest, but peaceful protest stops when your crowds begin to abuse the law enforcement and damage property. The window in my husband's workplace was smashed out, and city transformers were destroyed when the protest became a riot. We are on day 5 of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should be ASHAMED!

Dirt Therapy

Writing Exercise - Eutopia