Dirt Therapy

A few months ago (okay, longer than that...) I wrote about the brown-ness of where I grew up. Now I need to be clear, I grew up on and around farmland, but very little GREEN grew there. It was brown (potatoes), brown (wheat), brown-sage (mint), and brown-yellow (alfalfa). You can't find berry bushes or more than a few handfuls of tomato plants in my home desert.


(Photos courtesy of DD Ranch [My dad's neighbors] Terrebonne, OR)

When I moved a couple years ago (renewing our 3rd lease) I realized how much GREEN we could have. I love the hustle and bustle of the city. I loved the fast-paced, everything within a few min drive...but as time has worn on, I miss dirt therapy.

http://seedstock.com/2014/04/10/city-of-portland-continues-long-history-of-urban-farming/
(Buckman Community Garden)

I miss the animals, and the smell of rich compost (because you can't plant straight to soil in the desert) I miss the idea of the country, if not the actual country I grew up in.



Images Courtesy of Croakers Crossing Farm

I've felt an intense pull to get my hands dirty again. There's just one problem... I live in an apartment, with a porch that sees no direct sunlight....at all, ever. How can I grow ANYTHING without sunlight?

So I'm going to spend some time over the next couple of months networking with and learning from local farmers. I want to get dirty again and eat farm fresh eggs and gain farm strength.

In the future, I plan on buying a little spit of land and building my own sliver of heaven on it. But until then, we're working hard to pay down debt and learn as much as we can about homesteading BEFORE we make the leap.

Jenna over at Croakers Crossing Farm has invited me to work with her and her family to move manure, haul hay, and plant spring seeds in the near future, and I'm looking forward to it SO much.

Check hem out here.

I hope that fresh air and clean foods can help me get healthy again. I've been down with one thing or another since Dec 10, 2017...and I'm over it.

Let me know what you love about farm life, and what you want to see more of!

Comments

  1. There's so much to be said for working outside and getting your hands dirty. I hope you enjoy Croakers Crossing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who grew up near many farms in Kentucky, I totally get what you mean. City life has its drawbacks at times, the peace and quiet of the country definitely has its appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great plan to help out on someone else's farm until you have established one of your own again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've got a great plan to work toward owning your own land and a great plan to stay involved in the meantime with Croakers Crossing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better soon - being sick over and over again sucks. Good luck with the work at Croakers Crossing. And if you miss that compost smell, you can always do a worm bin, which requires no sunlight. Smells like a forest in there when it's up and running and healthy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You should be ASHAMED!

Writing Exercise - Eutopia