Homestead Skill Builder: Learning to Cook in an Instant Pot!



From all the blogs I'm reading, the biggest take away is the need to build skills BEFORE I have to depend on the skills for sufficiency on the Homestead.


So here's my first major new skill I've learned!

So far this week, I've done Chicken Fajitas, Shredded Pork, BBQ Chicken, Mac N cheese, Creme Brulee, Pot Roast, and have had leftovers each night, half to freeze for later, half for future work meals for hubs.

Today! Today I'm making mixed berry jam and applesauce.

Sorry for the mess and bad photos... trying to get ANYTHING done with kids underfoot makes perfect photos difficult...

For our jam, I took some blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (don't know how much, just went with what I had, it came to about 3 cups of mashed berries), and mixed them together in the mixer with sugar and pectin. I chopped the strawberries in half after removing the crown and leaves.



Poured the whole mix into the instant pot. I set it to manual high pressure at 1 min. I let it naturally release for about 15 min. I'll send it through one more mix in the KitchenAid and pour it into prepared jars.



Waterbath prep on the jars. I've put the wire mesh trivet from the instant pot into a stock pot, filled it with hot water, and am letting the jars soak in it. When it's time, I'll pour the jam into the jars, wipe the rims off, and place the lids on, finger tight.


I'll boil the jars for about 10 min. Until the rims seal.


I'll double check the seal tomorrow to make sure the seal is still tight, the lid shouldn't pop up and down when you press on it.

This batch made about 4 8oz jars, with a bit leftover for more immediate use.

I'll show more about the applesauce after I make it... Looking forward to the pectin setting up in this jam for toast!

Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should be ASHAMED!

Dirt Therapy

Growing Pains