Four Five Six

I know I ramble on a lot about mental health, but it shows how important it is. I've been in a less than ideal place in my mind for years, and this year, after the persistent insistence of my husband, I took a "me vacation".

I stayed at a beautiful 14 room hotel called the Seaside Oceanfront Inn. While I was there, I asked about the history of the place.

 

The property started out as a family cabin on the beach with a set of duplexes on the back end of the property. In the 80's a fire destroyed the cabin, and rather than rebuild a family residence in the middle of a now fully developed hospitality-focused business area, they chose to rebuild it as a bed and breakfast.

Over the course of the build, the four-story building became more than it was originally supposed to be. The family divorced and sold the partially competed Inn to new owners. They completed the build and turned the lowest level into "Maggies on the Prom" and fine dining restaurant that overlooks the beach. Maggies is named after the new owner's cat, who used to visit customers on the promenade seating patio and socialize with hotel guests.



About four years ago, the owner sold the hotel section of the Inn to the current owners who have worked to update the rooms, and ensure the best customer service. I loved the room I stayed in (The Seaside Beach room) as it had a comfortable bed, a big jetted bathtub, a small refrigerator (perfect for leftovers from Maggies) and a coffee maker. The view is gorgeous, and a perfect place to drink a cup of coffee and chat with a friend (which I totally did!)

It's within walking distance to the downtown promenade corridor for shopping, food, and fun.


As it was November, it was raining for much of my trip, and blustery as you can expect on the oceanfront. The first night I fell asleep to the sounds of wind and rain on the windows, and surf breaking on the sand.

I woke to the sounds of gulls fighting over a dropped bagel on the walkway, and the sun shining through my window. I spent a significant amount of time sipping coffee and crocheting with the new beautiful yarns that I picked up at Coastal Yarns and nibbling on the salted caramel and white chocolate fudge I snagged at Schwieterts Candy Shop on my way into town.




  

The second day, I met a friend for coffee at Beach Day Coffee on the prom, but the wind cut through the small space so we walked back to the room and enjoyed the beach view without the beach wind!


On my last day, I spent the morning crocheting on the beach, taking in the salty breeze, and the sunshine, cold though it was.

I felt more restored and relaxed than I have in ages, as long as I can remember, to be honest.
Just trying it on for size...


The point of this post is to remind you that you need to take care of yourself in order to help take care of others. If you are the type of person who gives your everything to help those around you, you need to remember to refil your cup. This is something I struggle with every single day.

I am thankful for the opportunity to reset and refill my cup.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should be ASHAMED!

Dirt Therapy

Writing Exercise - Eutopia