Dream Catcher Frames - Willow Wreaths

I'm a member of several crochet groups, and I've been sharing some of my latest projects. They are crochet doily dream catchers.



 But as much interest and admiration as these are getting, it's the frame method I'm using that seems to attract the most attention. I've had dozens of requests for a tutorial, so....here it is.

I found a local lady who was getting ready to trim her Dad's weeping willow. I asked if I could gather some from the tree before they burn the excess. She let me take whatever I wanted.

I stripped the leaves and sorted out to find the ones I could use the easiest. If they were supple and at least 15 inches, I kept them.

The longer they are, the larger you can make, but small ones are just as much fun.



Then I took a thicker one, and wrapped it in a circle shape, wrapping the thinner end around the thicker like a loose knot.



Then I lay another branch along the ring formed, and start wrapping it too. After I have a good stable base, I'll start wrapping branches in in the opposite direction. This helps the final wreath dry stronger and more stable. 



 

I would continue this process until the wreaths felt even and about 3/4 of an inch thick all around. Some of them I left the ends poking out, others I trimmed once they were tightly formed into wreaths.

Then I stacked them onto an old cookie sheet I use for crafting. And put them in a COLD oven.





Some of the thicker pieces I tied into U shapes, and similar so they'd dry in that shape. I used 100% cotton so they wouldn't melt. 

Put the pans in the oven, and turn on the temp to 200* F (93*ish C)

Set a time for 45-60min depending on how many wreaths you have. When the timer goes off, DO NOT REMOVE THEM. Just turn off the heat and let them sit in the hot oven for another hour. This is a good time to work on your doily.


If you need inspiration for your net crochet dreamcatcher, check out my curated dreamcatcher Pinterest Board.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You should be ASHAMED!

Dirt Therapy

Writing Exercise - Eutopia